One Life Left

Definitely the UK's favourite radio show (sort of) about videogames.

Commissioned by London’s award-winning Resonance 104.4 FM in early 2006, One Life Left was only meant to run for six episodes.

Take that, The Man because now, somewhere around one hundred and fifty episodes later, it’s in its seventh season and grown from humbling, terrified, fumbling beginnings into one of the station’s most valued shows.

Take THAT, The Man. Also take that, British radio standards.

More about One Life Left →

One Life Left — s04e19 — #91 — Bond Life

Play

“Goldeneye,” sang Tina Turner. “I found his weakness. Goldeneye, he’ll do what I please.” She wasn’t singing about One Life Left, but she might as well have been. We’re weak, he’s pleasing: it’s this week’s special guest, Martin Hollis, Producer and Director of N64 classic Goldeneye!

Why’s Martin on the show? Well, listen and you’ll find out, doofus. But if you’re impatient, here’s the précis. It’s to fend off questions about his current projects. What does Martin think about working with the next generation of videogame hardware? Is it true Nintendo are thinking about porting Facebook to the DS? And is he really working on the spiritual successor to Goldeneye right now?

Elsewhere, in a minor news coup, Ann reveals the exact launch year of the PS4 and the Xbox-wait-a-minute-I-can-do-this, Derek complains there aren’t enough games for him to sell in January and The Rage is missing, presumed poached. There’s also some excellent music, a triplet of reviews and plenty of unprofessional bickering.

One Life Left! No time for sweetness — but a bitter kiss will bring us to our knees. Thanks, Tina.

Music on #91:

How To Kill a Man From Outer Space // SAVESTATES
Arctic // CFCF
Glitch Test // Vastik Root

Download the episode as an MP3 from here. See you next week. And join our Twitter feed at /onelifeleft. Go!

8 Comments

1. John the Monkey says:

I’ve never played Goldeneye. Mr. Hollis was a great guest though, wasn’t he? Another great show, and for some reason the podcast downloaded before the bikeshow podcast, so I’ve yet to hear Jack’s laying down of the fund raising gauntlet.

2. C says:

why does everyone go on about goldeneye. the truth is goldeneye isn’t all that!

GET OVER IT! GOLDENEYE BLOWS!

3. Zoltan says:

I had a Playstation (original version) thrown at my head once.

Wasn’t that sore.

4. Leon says:

GoldenEye was absolutely sensational at the time, so thanks to Martin, the Doakster and all the others for the good times.

Those who claim that GoldenEye remains objectively the finest FPS however are gravely misguided.

5. Starke says:

Dear C,

Please stop it.

Yours,
    Gerry Tierney

6. iainl says:

Re: hitting people with consoles, the PS3 is over a kilo heavier than the original XBox, so you’re right that it’s the one to do real damage.

7. A.J. says:

First time listener and I really enjoyed the show. Major kudos to Martin Hollis for making a very significant impact in video game history. Goldeneye was the game that set the standards for future console FPS/multiplayer games.
    I have a crazy story that goes along with this game. I got this game around when it first came out – actually was a gift for my pops (but you know it was for me and my little bros). Well I’m playing single player in the Facility level near the end where there’s a cinematic with Bond and that Traitor dude. They have a conversation about stuff, but as they are just about to say, “For England James” “For England.” My mum walks into the living room and says, “Princes Diana died…” Chills rolled down my spine as I watched my British video game characters salute England one last time. Then the sirens go off and I’m like whoa wtf and shooting and gas tanks explode and all that bit. But yea that is a gaming moment in history that I will never forget…
    Just thought I’d share. Love the show!!!

-A.J.